School Games Vision
- Keeping competitive sport at the heart of schools and providing more young people with the opportunity to compete and achieve their personal best.
- By 2020 the School Games will be continuing to make a clear and meaningful difference to the lives of even more children and young people.
The School Games, which is funded by Sport England and delivered by the Youth Sport Trust, is a government led programme designed to deliver competitive school sport to all young people. The Games consists of intra and inter-school competition, county events and the National Finals.
Intra-school competition - sporting competition for all students held within their school, culminating in a School Games Day.
Inter-school competition - individuals and teams are selected to represent their schools against other local schools in competitions run by School Games Organisers, with the winning teams progressing to a School Games Stockton Final.
In Stockton we have two School Games Organisers (SGOs) hosted by Northfield School - Rose Mullis and Neil Young.
Rose and Neil work with schools and clubs to help achieve the following outcomes for 2020/21:
- Support schools to continue to prioritise and deliver 60 active minutes for every child thus providing opportunities for young people to improve their physical, emotional and social wellbeing
- provide physical activity and competition to support young people’s wider development including their ability to re-socialise and supports their psychological and physiological fitness.
- To identify and have ongoing provision that targets young people for who physical activity levels have been most negatively impacted by COVID-19
- Provide opportunities for young people to take on leadership and volunteering roles.
Make sure your school is involved in the School Games - register now at www.yourschoolgames.com or contact your SGO using the contact details above.
Spirit of the Games
The Spirit of the Games values of determination, honesty, passion, respect, self-belief, and teamwork were developed by young people to identify what the experience of school sport should be built around and they focus on personal excellence through competition.
Try our Spirit of the Games score sheets to help promote understanding and reward the use of the School Games Values.